Plex Media Server
Plex is one of those services that has been around for some time, but that many of us might have passed over for some reason. Be it a lack of understanding of what it actually does, thinking it couldn't possibly be useful to you or something else entirely. Truth is, Plex could be just what you're looking for to help you manage your media collection.
The official Plex website describes quite well:
One window into all your personal media. No matter where you are.
Your personal media. Everything you own, everything you have on your computer, accessible everywhere. On your mobile devices, through the web, and, of course, on your Xtreamer Wonder.
There is a Plex client for Android that comes with an outstanding variety on features:
- Plex makes your media beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other metadata.
- Plex automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device.
- Easily share your media with friends and family.
- Browse, fling and control your media on any Plex-enabled device, including the Google Chromecast
- Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing (Plex Pass)
- Sync media to your favorite cloud provider including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box, so you can stream media even when your server is offline (Plex Pass)
- Access a wide range of online channels such as TED, Revision3, and TWiT.
- Queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and watch them later on any device.
Please note, tha before you can use Plex to access your media on your other devices, you first need to set up your home server. This isn't nearly as daunting as it sounds — despite being a tech geek, such things still fill me with dread — and involves downloading the Plex Media Server app to your computer. It comes in flavors for Mac, Windows and Linux — Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS — and in a form designed for NAS drives, so it covers the majority of bases.
You can download it here: https://plex.tv/downloads
No related articles were found.
No attachments were found.
29th of March, 2015